A splendid and
famous holiday resort, Sorrento stands on a terrace rising steeply above the sea on one of
the most spectacular points of the Campanian coast. Because of its enchanting position and
mild climate, sheltered by the surrounding hills, Sorrento has been a favorite resort
since Romans times, (Agrippa, Augustus and Antonius all had villas here) and it became an
elite tourist resort from the eighteenth century, its hotels welcoming such luminaries as
Ibsen, Wagner and Nietzche.
The high position above the sea and the consequent absence of a true sea
promenade create its extremely original nature. In fact, the port, the Marina Grande and
Marina Piccola, picturesque bays with a beach and the harbour, are reached by steps and
narrow alleys, which offer panoramic views of incomparable beauty of the coast, the
surrounding hills covered in olive-groves and citrus fruit trees, and the crystal-clear
sea. Linked to the enchanting beauty of the place is the tradition whereby the name of
Sorrento originates from the mythical mermaids whose soft singing tempted Ulysses and his
crew in the Odyssey. The site on which the town stands, probably founded by the Greek
colonies, was already inhabited in prehistoric times.
The town is situated at 26Km from
the A3 Napoli-Salerno, with exit at the tollgate of Castellammare di Stabia and proceeding
on the national S.S. 145 Sorrentina.
The nearest station is the Circumvesuviana on the Sorrento-Napoli line. There are daily
runs to Naples (38 daily runs in summer time and 38 in winter time), to Pompei ruins (38
daily runs in summer time and 38 in winter time) and to the Ercolano ruins (38 in summer
time and 38 in winter time). The town can also be reached by public bus-line of SITA on
the Sorrento-Salerno line with runs to Positano (13 daily runs in summer time and 13 runs
in winter time), to Amalfi (13 daily runs in summer time and 13 runs in winter time) and
to Salerno (12 daily runs in summer time and 12 runs in winter time). It is possible to
get to Sorrento by sea with departures from the dock of Marina Piccola. Connections to
Naples should also be provided (38 daily runs in summer time and 14 daily runs in winter
time), to Capri (33 daily runs in summer time and 33 runs in winter time), to Ischia (8
runs in summer time and 8 runs in winter time).
Situated in the historical site it is the only remaining testimony in
Campania of the old noble seats and dates back to the XVIth century. It has a
quadrilateral form with two corner arches in pirerno (lava). The end of the walls and the
interior of the cupola (1600) displays XVIIIth century frescoes.
IN ROMANIC STYLE
Cathedral of the XVth century. Presents a marble portal (1474) in Renaissance style
surmounted by the Aragonese escutcheon. The church houses an archbishop throne in fine
marbles of 1573, and a wooden marquetry work of Sorrentine craftsmen and of the
Neapolintan school of the 1700s. The Belltower is of the Romanic era (XI